Thursday, October 25, 2012

The real life barbie?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/04/23/the-real-life-ukrainian- barbie-doll/





Every woman, in their childhood, owned at least one Barbie doll (If you try and say you didn’t then you’re lying haha). She could be whatever our imagination wanted her to become. A mom. A sister. A superhero. For me, she was my best friend that would keep me company. I have two older brothers that tended to only hang out with each other, and I would be left to my own devices, when we were younger. It was uncool to be seen with your little sister, apparently (still hasn’t changed). Barbie was the friend that would always be there for me. When my family life started to go downhill, I would hold her to my chest and stroke her long blonde hair, as my parents’ arguments became more common and violent.  If I had her, I knew everything would be okay. I never saw her as someone that I needed to look like.

That being said, when I first saw a picture of Valeria Lukyanova, you can guess that I was shocked.

I was positive that the image was an over edited picture of a girl wanting to see what she would look like with the measurements of my childhood friend (my dolls name was Sophie). Too my disbelief, the person in the photo is a 21-year old woman that claims to be 100% natural. No Plastic surgeries or photo shopping. In my opinion, she can claim whatever she wants. That’s not natural. It’s her Barbie like appearance that has made her one of the most famous women on the internet, in Russia.

Valeria is a prime example of societal expectations of what is considered beautiful. She was probably one of the little girls that envisioned herself as her actual doll. In her head, perfect were the abnormally thin waist and the out of proportion boobs that her Barbie had. This is just another example of how what we grow up seeing can influence how we interpret ourselves. Our body image.

No comments:

Post a Comment