Thursday, October 25, 2012

Size discrimination on a plane??

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/18/another-too-fat-to-fly-controversy-hits-southwest-airlines/


Kenlie Tiggeman


Being comfortable in my own skin has always been something that I struggle with. I wear a size two or four, in pants, yet I still start to clam up when people at the clothing store ask me my size. It’s the thought of people judging me based on my outer appearance that makes me feel insecure. The backhanded compliments that I have witnessed happen to people around me, thought out my youth, have made me overly cautious of people’s true intentions (children can be very cruel to each other). Admitting that I care about what people think of me is, definitely, something different. I pride myself on being unique. The red rose in a field of yellow daises. Yet, it’s in my DNA to want to be accepted. To be loved.

When I stumbled upon the interview with Kenlie Tiggeman talking about the size discrimination that her and her mother experienced in a Texas airport, it really struck a nerve with me (it was stuck in my head the whole day after I read the article). It was the fact that this article put me in the position of someone who I am terrified of becoming. An overweight women. Not only that, but it solidified all my fears. Fears that society is still unaccepting of things outside the norm. (I’ve always thought that society wasn’t really as evolved as it should be by now).

Take Kenlie for example. She is a grown women who has been struggling with losing weight (like most Americans) and, in the airport, she gets humiliated for being “too big”. The thing that she feels most insecure about is thrown right in her face. The Southwest airline employee made NO effort in trying to handle the, obviously, embarrassing situation with discretion. Having a grown women being told that she has to announce her weight and what clothing size she wears is far beyond degrading. In addition to having to announce her weight, she was forced to have to purchase a second plane ticket. We are in a recession and plane tickets aren’t cheap (I wouldn’t even be able to afford even one plane ticket now).

This issue is one that had arisen more than once in the recent years. With obesity now being a national epidemic, I am sure that is will come up again. All we can do is hope that next time the matter is handled more professionally and with more concern for the customers’ emotional well-being.


No comments:

Post a Comment